What should I do before my first chemo treatment?
Before your first chemotherapy infusion
- Let your oncology care team demystify chemotherapy for you. …
- Keep your other medical care up-to-date. …
- Eat well now and later. …
- Arrange for help at home and work. …
- Ask someone to come to your first appointment for support and company. …
- Prepare a bag to bring with you.
What should I do the night before chemo?
Stay healthy and strong.
- Take it easy.
- Don’t compare your body to how it was before chemotherapy.
- Drink lots of water.
- Go for a walk every day, if possible.
- Try to eat something. …
- Read the provided handouts regarding chemotherapy and its side effects.
- Try acupuncture to help alleviate pain and nausea.
How long does the first session of chemo take?
It’s important that you have a caregiver with you to get you to and from chemotherapy the first time, as you don’t know how you’ll feel after you’re done. The length of time for chemotherapy regimens can range from 5 minutes to 8 or more hours.
How many days after chemo do you feel better?
Most people say it takes 6 to 12 months after they finish chemotherapy before they truly feel like themselves again.
What should chemo patients avoid?
Foods to avoid (especially for patients during and after chemo):
- Hot, spicy foods (i.e. hot pepper, curry, Cajun spice mix).
- Fatty, greasy or fried foods.
- Very sweet, sugary foods.
- Large meals.
- Foods with strong smells (foods that are warm tend to smell stronger).
- Eating or drinking quickly.
How long is a session of chemo?
How long will each session of my chemotherapy treatment take? Chemotherapy treatment varies in length and frequency and depends on the individual treatment plan prescribed by your doctor. Some last as long as three or four hours, while others may only take a half-hour.
How do you clean the toilet after chemotherapy?
Wash out the bucket with hot, soapy water and rinse it; empty the wash and rinse water into the toilet, then flush. Dry the bucket with paper towels and throw them away. Caregivers should wear 2 pairs of throw-away gloves if they need to touch any of your body fluids. (These can be bought in most drug stores.)
Is 12 cycles of chemo a lot?
Use the drug until maximum benefit, then back off and do some sort of maintenance approach. And remember: There is nothing, nothing, nothing magic about 12 cycles.
How soon do you lose your hair with chemo?
Hair usually begins falling out two to four weeks after you start treatment. It could fall out very quickly in clumps or gradually. You’ll likely notice accumulations of loose hair on your pillow, in your hairbrush or comb, or in your sink or shower drain. Your scalp may feel tender.
Is the chemotherapy painful?
Does chemotherapy hurt? IV chemotherapy should not cause any pain while being administered. If you experience pain, contact the nurse taking care of you to check your IV line. An exception would be if there is a leak and the drug gets into surrounding tissues.
Does chemo start working immediately?
This treatment may work immediately for some people, while it may take several rounds over the course of many months for others.